Lamine Yamal Refuses to "Beg" for the Ballon d'Or as the 2026 Race Heats Up
Football fans, get ready—the Ballon d’Or race for 2026 is officially turning into an absolute blockbuster.
With the ceremony just around the corner in London on October 26, the world’s biggest stars are starting to make their final cases for football’s most prestigious individual prize. But if you’re expecting Barcelona’s teenage sensation Lamine Yamal to start lobbying voters, think again.
Speaking ahead of Barcelona's upcoming Champions League opener, the 19-year-old made it crystal clear that he has zero interest in campaigning for the golden orb.
"I don’t think I need to," Yamal told reporters with the kind of cool confidence we’ve come to expect from him. "I’m not thinking about what I deserve; everyone can think what they like. I’ve shown an incredible level—it’s the media’s job to talk about it, and I will not beg for anything."
A Trophy-Laden Year to Remember
It’s hard to argue against his resume. Over the past year, Yamal has been nothing short of electric. He helped fire Barcelona to another La Liga title and played a starring role in Spain’s sensational World Cup 2026 triumph, where La Roja ultimately knocked out Kylian Mbappé’s France in a tense semi-final showdown.
"I’m proud of everything I’ve done this year with my club and with the national team," Yamal reflected. "We’ve become world champions; we’ve won the league again. I can’t ask for anything more."
Compare that to his fierce rival in the Ballon d'Or race, Kylian Mbappé. The Real Madrid star recently made a strong public push for the award, highlighting his World Cup Golden Boot win and his new record as the tournament's all-time top goalscorer.
Meanwhile, Ousmane Dembele—who pipped Yamal to the Ballon d’Or last year—has been weighing in too, publicly backing a top three that features his friend Mbappé alongside Harry Kane and Khvicha Kvaratskhelia.
Yamal couldn't resist a cheeky smile when asked about Dembele’s picks.
"He’s a friend of Kylian, right?" Yamal joked. "The truth is, I don’t care; I’m very happy with the year I had. When I played against both of them together, I must have annoyed them."
Bouncing Back and Living His Best Life
It hasn't been a completely smooth ride for the young phenom. A hamstring injury back in April threatened to derail his momentum, and he looked a bit frustrated at the start of the current campaign. But any worries about a sophomore slump have been instantly smashed to pieces.
Yamal has bounced right back to his breathtaking best, netting crucial goals against Rayo Vallecano and Valencia in his last two outings.
"In the end, I’m 19, coming off winning a World Cup, having had the best holidays of my life," Yamal said, beaming. "I’ve never been happier at any point in my life than I am now."
Eyes on the Champions League Prize
With the individual accolades sorting themselves out, Yamal’s immediate focus is back on club football. Barcelona kicks off their UEFA Champions League campaign at home against Dutch side Feyenoord, and the teenage winger is hungrier than ever for European glory.
Barca hasn't lifted the famous trophy since the glory days of the Lionel Messi, Luis Suárez, and Neymar trident back in 2015. Under manager Hansi Flick, the Catalan giants are desperate to take that final step after reaching the semi-finals in 2025 and the quarter-finals last season.
"Every big club is dreaming about this because this is the best competition," Flick said ahead of the Feyenoord clash. "We have the quality to win this, but there’s a long way to go."
Flick was full of praise for his young star, emphasizing that the secret to Yamal's success is simply his joy for the game. “Lamine is a player who can decide games on his own, fantastic quality,” Flick noted. “It’s great; you can see it every day how he is enjoying playing football. For me, the best thing is that he enjoys this game and then he’s on a top level.”
More Gold on the Horizon?
While the main Ballon d'Or winner announcement on October 26 is still weeks away, Yamal is already locked in as the overwhelming favorite to secure a historic third consecutive best young player (Kopa Trophy) award. He was officially named among the 10 nominees, alongside other breakout sensations like Johan Manzambi, Yan Diomande, and Ayyoub Bouaddi.
Whether he takes home the main prize or not, one thing is certain: Lamine Yamal is running the show, and he's doing it entirely on his own terms.

Post a Comment